Monday, November 4, 2013

Gratitude

It's the time of year when Gratitude is in fashion.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  It's refreshing to hear/read about the things that people are grateful for as they make their lists and post their 30 Days of Gratitude Facebook statuses.

I think we, as a society are far less grateful than we should be, and I am one of the worst offenders.  If I focused on only a portion of the things I have to be grateful for, I would have zero room in my life for self pity, frustration, annoyance or crankiness.

As it is, I whine, I get frustrated, I am often annoyed, and I definitely get cranky.

Even still, that being said, I am also grateful.  Today, in particular.

Today is Andrew's birthday.  He's 14 now.  If I had no other thing in life to inspire gratitude, that would be enough.  We still have Andrew.  Our own, perfect miracle.  Andrew beat cancer.  How can there be room for anything but gratitude?!?!

Then I sit back and think about some of the other challenges life has brought.  For all of the joy and peace that Andrew's miracle has brought, there is sadness and pain as we watch our mom fight a different form of the same monster.  Cancer is a vicious adversary, and it's showing its teeth as it steals moments, days and years from her.

I say as "we watch", but I'm sheltered from the daily reminder that life is so fragile.  She's 2500 miles away, being gently cared for by my amazing siblings.  I get to be removed from the reality, experiencing it through text updates and occasional phone calls.  For that reason, I find another thing to be grateful for.

I am grateful for an amazing family who loves big.  Their love makes life's challenges a little less daunting and a whole lot less painful.

Life is good, because I have love.

I sat down to write a bit about my training progress.  To tell you all about how difficult it is for me to break the 3 mile barrier, and how I'm starting to get nervous about adding distance to my runs in enough time to make 13.1 by January...but now I'm thinking...that's a piece of cake!

So, I will run.  I will run for Andrew.  I will run for my mom.  I will run for my family, and I will run for love.

How could I ask for better inspiration?

That being said, I still need your help to support LLS in my journey! :)  Feel free to check out my fundraising page if you're so inclined!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ri/wdw14/anelson9oh

Thanks for reading, and much LOVE!
Amy

No comments: