Sunday, November 17, 2013

Bullet Proof!

This week has been tough.  My life now revolves around running, and the more I run, the more intimidated I am about the distance that I've committed to.  13.1 miles?  What was I thinking?!? I've done a couple of 10K's (6.4 miles) but other than that, the longest run I've ever done before was just under 5 miles.

My body isn't cooperating either.  When I was running back in my triathlon days  (just 2.5 years ago!) my goal was to get my mile time under 9:30.  Now I'm lucky if I can run a mile in under 11:00, and improving my stamina and strength seems to be so much harder, even at the shorter distances.  Getting old bites!

So...I had to make some adjustments to my expectations.

1) Slow and steady wins the race.  It doesn't matter how fast I am...as long as I'm not so slow that they pull me off the course...but I'm pretty sure I can maintain a pace faster than a 17 minute mile. :)

2) Intervals are my friends!  It's the distance that matters.  If I have to walk a bit to get to the the distance, that's ok!

3) My only competition is ME.  I can't compare my pace or performance to anyone else.  This is my challenge, and I'm the only one that can get in my way.

That being said, I've hit some milestones that I'm proud of this week!  Today I reached the 5 mile mark!  It wasn't easy, and it wasn't fast, but it was FIVE miles!  To be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

I also have new kicks!  Visited Rhode Runner this week and had my friend Jim hook me up with some great new shoes.  I loved my old ones, but something was just not quite right with them the past few weeks.  The new shoes made their debut on my 5 mile run today, and I love them!



I have to give a shout out to one of my Cheerleaders, Janet, for giving me her training hint to use music as interval markers.  Run a song, walk a song.  I run until I need to take a break (today it was about 1.2 miles) and then start the alternating intervals.  It was like magic for me, and kept my pace up really well!  It also helped me run 11 miles total in the last 3 days, and I don't feel like I'm going to die!

I also discovered that music is an amazing motivator.  The right music.  Today, the right song was Bullet Proof by La Roux.  The reason?  Andrew.  Brittany and Andrew sing that song together at the top of their lungs, particularly in the car where they can torment Taylor.  Every time I hear it, I think of Andrew...being a silly, happy, healthy kid, and it fills me with joy.  Today it was especially poignant as I listened to the words from his point of view.  No longer did I hear lyrics about protecting a heart from potential heartbreak.  I heard an anthem of courage and strength, vowing that cancer was not going to win.

It's amazing what a motivator that crazy kid is for me.  This week they got the results of his annual full body MRI.  CLEAR!  His body is most definitely not free of the scars left behind by Cancer, but it is free of Cancer, and that is reason for celebration.  

I think I'll have to pad my running playlist with more "Andrew" songs.  If nothing else, it's good for my psyche.

From here on out, the runs are only going to get more difficult, so a positive outlook is a necessary tool.  I'm doing this race in 8 weeks, dang it, and I'm GOING to finish it!  

Thank you so much to those of you who have showered me with encouraging words and support, and to Wilkie for patiently accompanying me on my long runs!  I don't have the words to express how much it means to me!

Additional thanks to those of you who have so generously contributed to my fundraising!  I'm over 1/2 way to my mandatory fundraising total, and closing in on 1/2 way to my personal goal!  You all amaze me!!

On that note, if any one else would like to contribute to an amazing cause, while supporting my journey, please feel free to visit my fundraising page here:


Love to all of you!
Amy

2 comments:

Greg said...

Those are some flashy kicks

Unknown said...

They're my Bumble Bee shoes!