Saturday, October 4, 2008

Regarding Henry

I'm increasingly awed by the incredible strength and character that shines through our little Andrew as his journey continues. In an effort to share my a bit of what inspires me, I thought I'd introduce you to Henry.

As I've mentioned before, Andrew has been a bit clumsy for a few years now...often tripping, knocking things over and spilling things. Last year he began to blame his little mishaps on "Henry". When he'd knock over his milk he'd proclaim, "It wasn't me, it was Henry!" It became a silly joke among the family. According to Andrew, Henry was his brain, and sometimes Henry just messed up his ability to control things.

Over the last week, we've discovered how real Henry really was; except that Henry was not Andrew's brain...Henry was the giant tumor. On some level Andrew knew that there was a stranger in his brain.

The most amazing part of this little story for me is not just that Andrew knew about Henry, but that he embraced him. With a smile and a little giggle he accepted Henry as a part of himself without frustration, irritation or complaint.

Always a smile. That's our Andrew.

1 comment:

valerie said...

i love hearing his sweet stories, and I think this one is my favorite so far. What an inspiration he is to follow. He has such an incredible way of dealing with life, especially now.
It was wonderful to actually be able to give you a hug and see you, I wish it were under different circumstances of course. I'm so glad that Britt had her sisters there with her even if if was only for a few days.